1. KC Sheehan's "Doing Justice: Bad Writing which considers Martha Nussbaum's famous takedown of Judith Butler in the New Republic and then reaches into questions of language and feminism more grandly, is a fascinating read.
2. In The Chronicle Leonard Cassuto goes "Beyond Peyton Place" on its 50th anniversary.
3. The indomitable Rachel discusses Oliver Stone's new film in Erasing Black Heros By Making Them White.
4. Friends don't let friends see Snakes on a Plane. Yes, it will be very, very, very kitschy. I still won't let you go. Instead I offer you The Illusionist for your perfectly summery movie, with no snakes, no plane, so Samuel L. Jackson.
5. Celebrate the 10th birthday of Bitch Magazine! At The Women's Building, 3543 18th St (between Guerrero and Valencia), 6pm-8pm. $15 advance tickets, $25 at the door. Keep Bitch alive!
6. Check out this article in NYT on blacks and Hispanics (lack thereof) in specialized New York schools.
And, finally, just stay the hell away from Jones Beach on Saturday, folks. 311 is playing.