Happy Birthday, Damion!
The incomparable Damion turns 34 today and has asked for the humblest of gifts: a Top 10 list of favorite books. As much as I would like to lavish upon Damion everything his heart desires, I must make one small adjustment : I'm sticking to novels because it's only 10, which is unfair enough as it is.
1. Jazz by Toni Morrison
2. Blood and Guts in High School by Kathy Acker
3. The Making of Americans by Gertrude Stein
4. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
5. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
6. Corregidora by Gayl Jones
7. Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin
8. Trumpet by Jackie Kay
9. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
10. Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson
This list, of course, is basically just the first 10 of my favorite novels that I happened to think of just now, and could be easily rethought. But this is my very best list for the moment.
And on that note, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAMION! If you want to send him birthday wishes yourself, click